Diversity & Inclusion
At Willenken LLP, we firmly believe in the importance of diversity and inclusion in the legal profession. In fact, as a minority-owned law firm, these principles are hallmarks of our practice.
Our firm is comprised of women and men of diverse racial, ethnic and social backgrounds — we are Indian-American, Chinese-American, and Japanese-American, among other ethnicities. We staff our cases with a diverse group of partners and associates by virtue of the composition of our firm. We don’t have to go out of our way to ensure broad-based thinking occurs within every case — it happens organically because of who we are and where we came from, and it ensures that we can build credibility with clients and juries alike.
Diversity and Inclusion at Willenken: A Snapshot
- Minority-owned: We are certified as a minority-owned law firm by the Southern California Minority Business Development Council, as qualified under the criteria of the National Minority Supplier Development Council.
- Our composition: More than half of our attorneys are minorities, representing diverse backgrounds and ethnicities. More than half of our attorneys are women.
- Organization and Association involvement: We are members of and are actively involved with the following organizations:
- National Association of Minority and Women-Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF)
- California Minority Counsel Program (CMCP)
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA)
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD)
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA)
- Pro Bono work: Our attorneys have done pro bono work with the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) and Public Counsel. We have taken on and won challenging asylum cases in immigration court and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal, and prevailed in cases in which women sought relief under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).
- Awards and Accolades
- Eileen Ahern and Aarti Wilson have served as Fellows for LCLD, whose purpose is to identify, train, and advance the next generation of leaders in the legal profession.
- Paul Loh was featured in Diversity & the Bar in a Q&A on diversity and inclusion.
- The firm was awarded the Minority-Owned Law Firm Client Service Award by MCCA.