- Stanford Law School, J.D., 2000
- Lafayette College, B.A., summa cum laude, 1996
- Admitted to the State Bar of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- California (all state courts)
- Bridgeport Continuing Education 2020 Consumer Class Action Litigation Conference, Co-Chair
- Litigation Counsel of America: The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society, Fellow
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Fellow (2018)
Community/ Civic Involvement
- Board of Trustees of Lafayette College, Associate
- Benchmark Litigation, "Local Litigation Star" (2018-2019), "Benchmark California Star" (2019)
Co-Presenter, "The Future of Nationwide Classes (including Settlements) after Hyundai Kia," Bridgeport Continuing Education 2019 Consumer Class Action Litigation Conference (January 11, 2019)
Moderator, "Hiring, Firing and Inspiring Outside Counsel," MCCA 2018 Creating Pathways to Diversity Conference (October 2, 2018)
Panelist, "The In-House Counsel's Consumer Class Action Defense Checklist," ACC Washington Chapter 2nd Annual Business Summit (September 13, 2018)
Panelist, "The In-House Counsel's Class Action Defense Checklist," ACC Minnesota Chapter CLE Lunch and Learn (June 7, 2018)
Panelist, "Social Networking: Dos & Don'ts - A Discussion Regarding Business Development, Trending Ethical Considerations, & Privacy Breach Part II," NAMWOLF 2018 Business Meeting (February 26, 2018)
News & Events
- Winning Matters: Willenken Secures Dismissal of RICO Class Action at the Pleading Stage Before Judge Lucy Koh
- The Willenken Word: Intellectual Property in 2018
- Willenken's 2018 Year in Review
- Daily Journal “Top Boutiques 2018” Edition Features Willenken
- The Women of Willenken Present Emily Murphy with The Advocacy Award
- Willenken Firm and Five Partners Recognized by Benchmark Litigation 2019
- Willenken Booth Draws a Wide Audience at NAMWOLF 2018 Law Firm Expo
- Scholars & Sketches at NAMWOLF 2018
- Willenken Attorneys Give Litigation Tips and Tricks in CLE Presentations
- Willenken's Annual Review 2017
- 2017 Year in Review: Intellectual Property
- Willenken Firm and Five Partners Awarded Coveted Rankings from Benchmark Litigation – 2018®
- Winning Matters: Willenken Defeats Class Action With Motion for Summary Judgment
A tenacious litigator who has used her creativity to achieve victories for her clients for the past two decades, Megan O’Neill never lets her drive to win override what is most important: that her clients get the result they want. Whether it means taking the case to trial or negotiating the optimal settlement, clients trust Megan to analyze cases from all sides and consistently deliver the desired outcome.
While Megan’s varied experience allows her to handle a wide range of matters for her clients, she has developed a specialized focus in the class action arena. She regularly defends Fortune 500 companies in consumer class actions alleging unfair competition, false advertising, and other claims, and frequently speaks on class action topics at legal seminars. Megan also has significant experience litigating intellectual property claims, including suits alleging theft of trade secrets and trademark infringement, as well as cases involving product liability claims, employment disputes, breaches of contract, and fraud claims. Since joining Willenken, she has litigated substantial matters on behalf of PayPal, Target, The Kroger Co., The Nature’s Bounty Co., The Procter & Gamble Company, Physician Laboratories, and several start-up companies.
Among her recent victories, Megan secured a voluntary dismissal of a consumer class action after opposing class certification, which was due in large part to the key admissions she obtained at the class representative’s deposition. She also prevailed on a successful forum non conveniens motion in a far-flung jurisdiction and subsequent motion to compel arbitration in a case against a Silicon Valley start-up. In one of her most notable cases to date, Megan drove the settlement of thousands of claims as lead counsel representing a utility company in connection with multibillion-dollar claims arising from one of the largest wildfires in California history.
Megan is a fluent Spanish speaker, enabling her to effectively represent clients from Spain and Latin America. She joined Willenken as the head of the San Francisco office after practicing for 12 years at Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP and clerking for the Honorable Marjorie O. Rendell of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Megan is actively involved in fostering diversity in the legal profession, having served as a 2018 Fellow of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity. When she is not in the courtroom, Megan spends her time in the dance studio as a hip-hop choreographer and lyrical, hip-hop, and jazz dancer.
- PayPal, Inc.
- The Nature’s Bounty Co.
- Target Corporation
- The Kroger Co.
- PhD Fitness
- Physician Laboratories, Inc.
- The Procter & Gamble Company
- Turvo, Inc.
- Quantum Spatial
- Rivas v. Physician Laboratories, Inc. et al. Lead counsel in the representation of a defendant in a false advertising class action. Plaintiff voluntarily dismissed the case while a motion to dismiss was pending and after the filing of defendant’s opposition to class certification.
- MegaCorp Logistics, LLC v. Turvo, Inc. et al. Prevailed on a hotly-contested motion to compel arbitration in a trade secrets lawsuit against a Silicon Valley logistics technology start-up, after successfully having the case transferred from Kentucky to the Northern District of California.
- Korolshteyn v. Costco Wholesale Corp. et al. Secured summary judgment in favor of retailer and dietary supplement manufacturer in a class action alleging violations of Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code 17200 and Cal. Civ. Code 1750 in connection with ginkgo supplement.
- Confidential Matters. Negotiated several favorable single plaintiff settlements in putative false advertising class actions against retailers and dietary supplement manufacturers.