- Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1987
- Pomona College, B.A., cum laude, 1984
- Admitted to the State Bar of California
- Admitted to the Florida Bar (inactive)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- California (all state courts)
- Florida (all state courts)
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Life Member
- Litigation Counsel of America: The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society, Fellow
- The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Harvard Law School Association Asian Pacific American Alumni Network, Vice President
- National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms, Trials PAC Co-Chair
- The Copyright Society of the USA, Member
- Intellectual Property Law Section of the State Bar of California, Former Executive Committee Member
Community/ Civic Involvement
- National Judicial College Board of Visitors, Board Member
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Silicon Valley, Member
- Japanese American Bar Association, Former Director
Panelist, "Strategies for Better Contract Drafting: Mitigating Risks in Contracts with U.S. Parties," ACC Ontario Chapter CLE Presentation (September 14, 2017)
Presenter, "Soft IP: 10 Hot Topics in Copyright and Trademark Law Webinar," NAPABA Webinar (May 18, 2017)
Panelist, "Ten Tips to Reduce Your Litigation Spend," ACC South Florida Chapter's 6th Annual CLE Conference (September 30, 2016)
Presenter, "In-House Counsel’s Checklist for Trial Success: 7 Key Issues to Raise with Outside Counsel," ACC Southwest Ohio Chapter CLE Presentation (December 9, 2015)
Presenter, "Sharks Rule the Ocean and Courtroom: What These Killers Can Teach Us About Trial Tactics," ACC South Florida Chapter CLE Presentation (October 9, 2015)
Presenter, "What’s Up in the Cloud?" ACC Denver Fall Frenzy (September 17, 2015)
Panelist, "Risk Management: Top 10 Ways to Avoid Heartbreak in American Litigation," ACC Ontario Chapter CLE Presentation (May 21, 2015)
Presenter, "Assorted Mysteries of California Law," ACC Southwest Ohio Chapter CLE Presentation (October 2014)
News & Events
- The Willenken Word: Intellectual Property in 2018
- Will Delgado and Jason Wilson Selected to “Super Lawyers 2019”
- Willenken's 2018 Year in Review
- Daily Journal “Top Boutiques 2018” Edition Features Willenken
- Willenken Firm and Five Partners Recognized by Benchmark Litigation 2019
- Congratulations to Former Willenken Partner, Judge Nhan T. Vu
- Willenken Booth Draws a Wide Audience at NAMWOLF 2018 Law Firm Expo
- Scholars & Sketches at NAMWOLF 2018
- Winning Matters: Willenken Obtains Total Victory For Major LED Manufacturer In Eight-Figure Cross-Border Dispute
- Willenken's Annual Review 2017
- Willenken Firm and Five Partners Awarded Coveted Rankings from Benchmark Litigation – 2018®
- Willenken's 2016 Year in Review
- Firm Secures Victory for Utility Client
- Affirmed: Appellate Court Upholds Willenken Firm Victory to Preserve $2-Billion Renewable Energy Utility Project
- Willenken Firm Obtains High Seven-Figure Stipulated Judgment In Patent Indemnity Action
- Firm Utilizes Key Deposition Testimony to Obtain Arbitration Victory
- Firm Secures Trademark Victory Before the Ninth Circuit
With over 30 years of practice at the trial and appellate levels, Jason Wilson is a force in the courtroom. He has tried 15 cases to a jury, judge, or arbitrator, and is often retained as trial counsel mere weeks before trial. Recognized by BTI Consulting Group for his superior client service, Jason provides measured and expert counsel to Fortune 500 companies across a range of industries in litigation matters involving real estate, environmental, intellectual property, class action, and complex business issues.
A shrewd and adept litigator, Jason’s courtroom triumphs include defeating a claim that a commercial bank wrongfully honored a letter of credit, winning a trademark infringement action, prevailing in a fraudulent conveyance action, defeating a breach of contract claim brought against a premier hotel chain, and winning a fraud action with an award of punitive damages. On several occasions, Jason’s sharp trial skills have paid dividends for his clients even before the case has been given to the jury for their determination. In one particular case representing the plaintiff in a jury trial, Jason’s devastating cross-examination of the defendant drove the defendant to settle the case for 20 times the initial settlement offer made the day before trial.
In addition to his trial victories, Jason has served as lead counsel and prevailed on behalf of his clients in many binding arbitrations. He has also won major victories in a wide variety of civil matters without having to go to trial, most notably in an indemnity action where he won and collected a $9.6 million judgment from a plaintiff that had initially refused to provide indemnity for a patent infringement suit.
Jason practiced at an Am Law 100 firm before joining Willenken shortly after its formation. He began his legal career as a law clerk for Judge Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain and the late Judge Thomas Tang on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. When he is not litigating, Jason enjoys traveling and spending time with his wife and daughter. An avid baseball and soccer fan, Jason is also a trivia enthusiast and has competed on the television game shows “Win Ben Stein’s Money” and “Winning Lines.”
- Sempra Energy
- Southern California Gas Company
- San Diego Gas & Electric
- Walgreen Co.
- Motorola Solutions
- Starbucks Corporation
- Hilton Worldwide Holdings
- Southern California Edison
- Shell Oil Company
- KeyBank N.A.
- Confidential Matter. Represented nine executives and employees of an electric vehicle start-up facing allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets, violation of non-solicitation and confidentiality obligations, and breach of fiduciary duties in arbitration.
- Lumens Co., Ltd. v. GoEco LED LLC et al. Obtained a $1 million victory and a total defense victory to $16 million in counterclaims for Korean LED manufacturer Lumens Co., Ltd.
- Syntellect, Inc. v. Southern California Gas Co. After prevailing on a motion for summary adjudication of liability, which the Ninth Circuit affirmed, secured a $9.4 million judgment in a patent infringement indemnity action on behalf of the country’s largest gas distribution utility.
- On behalf on a Fortune 500 investor owned utility, obtained the stay (and later the dismissal) of a class action complaint related to purported dangers in a meter boxes.
- On behalf of a major hospitality company, obtained a walk away settlement in a major real estate dispute.
- On behalf of a major oil company, obtained a walk away settlement in a dispute regarding prior contamination.
- On behalf of a Fortune 500 retail company, obtained a nuisance value settlement in a real estate matter—the settlement was less than 5% of Plaintiff’s initial demand.
- On behalf of a Fortune 500 company obtained a multi-million-dollar settlement in a breach of contract dispute with another Fortune 500 company.
- On behalf of a major hospitality company, prevailed at trial in a breach of contract dispute.
- On behalf of software company, obtained a favorable settlement of a patent infringement and trade secret suits brought to enforce the company’s intellectual property rights.
- On behalf of major hospitality company, obtained a dismissal of a class action complaint after the filing of Rule 12(b)(6) motion.
- On behalf of a Fortune 500 investor owned utility, obtained the dismissal of class action related to a dispute over a credit determination.