- Harvard Law School, J.D., Cum Laude, 1987
- Pomona College, B.A., Cum Laude, 1984
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- State Bar of California (all state courts)
- State Bar of Florida (inactive)
- Former Executive Committee Member IP Section of the State Bar of California
- Former Director, Japanese American Bar Association
- Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Member, Board of Visitors, National Judicial College
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
News & Events
- Daily Journal “Top Boutiques 2018” Edition Features Willenken
- Willenken Firm and Five Partners Recognized by Benchmark Litigation 2019
- Congratulations to Former Willenken Partner, Judge Nhan T. Vu
- Willenken Booth Draws a Wide Audience at NAMWOLF 2018 Law Firm Expo
- Scholars & Sketches at NAMWOLF 2018
- Willenken Obtains Total Victory For Major LED Manufacturer In Eight-Figure Cross-Border Dispute
- Willenken's Annual Review 2017
- Willenken Firm and Five Partners Awarded Coveted Rankings from Benchmark Litigation – 2018®
- Willenken's 2016 Year in Review
- Firm Secures Victory for Utility Client
- Affirmed: Appellate Court Upholds Willenken Firm Victory to Preserve $2-Billion Renewable Energy Utility Project
- Willenken Firm Obtains High Seven-Figure Stipulated Judgment In Patent Indemnity Action
- Firm Utilizes Key Deposition Testimony to Obtain Arbitration Victory
- Firm Secures Trademark Victory Before the Ninth Circuit
Joining Willenken in 2002 shortly after the firm’s founding, Jason Wilson has successfully tried to a jury or court numerous commercial matters. His trial victories include defeating a claim that a commercial bank wrongfully honored a letter of credit, defeating a breach of contract claim brought against Hilton Hotels, winning a trademark infringement action, prevailing in a fraudulent conveyance action and winning a fraud action with an award of punitive damages. Jason has also been lead counsel in many binding arbitrations. His binding arbitration successes includes winning a binding arbitration on behalf of Walgreens in a business acquisition dispute and defeated a claim brought against Beazer Homes, one of the nation’s largest home builders. On several occasions, Jason’s trial skills have paid dividends for his clients even before the case has been given to the jury for their determination. For example, in one jury trial, after Jason’s devastating cross examination of the defendant, the defendant settled the case for 20 times the settlement offer he had made the day before trial. Notably, in this matter, Jason was retained as trial counsel three weeks before trial.
The focus of Jason’s practice is the representation of Fortune 500 corporations in litigation involving real estate, environmental, intellectual property, class actions, and complex business issues. Jason has represented numerous Fortune 500 clients as lead counsel, including Southern California Gas Company, Starbucks, Starwood Hotels, Walgreens, Southern California Edison, Shell Oil Company, Hilton Hotels, Sempra Energy, BP and San Diego Gas and Electric Co.
Jason has also won major victories in a wide variety of civil matters without having to go to trial. For example, in an indemnity action on behalf of Southern California Gas Company, after winning two different summary adjudication motions and successfully defending the outcome in the Ninth Circuit, Jason won and collected a $9.4 million judgment (which included attorneys’ fees and costs) from a Canadian software company that had refused to provide indemnity for a patent infringement suit. On behalf of Walgreens, in real estate dispute, at summary judgment, he defeated Plaintiff’s claim that Walgreens’ refusal to open a retail store had caused its former landlord to lose millions of dollars in the sale of the shopping center. In a confidential settlement, Jason obtained $4 million (for a Fortune 500) from a Fortune 50 based upon a breach of contract claim. On behalf of Southern California Edison, at the pleading stage, he defeated a challenge from the City of Chino Hills to Edison’s proposed routing of a new power line for a $2 billion renewal energy project.
Jason graduated with honors from Harvard Law School. He began his career as a law clerk to the Honorable Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. He also clerked for the late Honorable Thomas Tang of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Jason has been a member of the Copyright Society of the United States since 1996 and was a member of the Executive Committee of the Intellectual Property Section of the California State Bar from 2002 to 2006. Jason was a member of the Board of Governor of the Japanese American Bar Association of Greater Los Angeles from 1997 to 2001. He has been recognized in The American Lawyer as a Top Rated Lawyer in Commercial Litigation and is a Life Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, an organization open to top trial lawyers in the United States. He is also on the Board of Visitors of The National Judicial College.
Jason is an active speaker and has given numerous speeches. He has spoken on intellectual property topics many times, including speeches before the Intellectual Property Sections of the State Bars of Utah, Colorado and California. Jason has also spoken before several chapters of the Association of Corporate Counsel (“ACC”). For example, in May 2015, before the Ontario Chapter of ACC in Toronto, Canada, he presented a talk entitled: Risk Management: Top 10 Ways to Avoid Heartbreak in American Litigation. This presentation, which highlighted the quirks of American litigation which Canadian in-house counsel find surprising, was based upon Jason’s frequent litigation for (and against) Canadian companies.
In 2016, BTI Consulting Group recognized Jason as one of 312 attorneys nationwide who provide superior client service. Read more here. Most recently, Benchmark Litigation named Jason a Local Star.
Jason is an avid baseball and soccer fan. He enjoys reading history, participating in trivia contests (he has appeared in two TV trivia shows), traveling and spending time with his wife and daughter.
- Hilton Hotels
- Southern California Edison
- Southern California Gas Company
- Shell Oil Company
- Key Bank Corporation
- On behalf on a Fortune 500 investor owned utility, obtained the stay (and later the dismissal) of a class action complaint related to purported dangers in a meter boxes.
- On behalf of a major hospitality company, obtained a walk away settlement in a major real estate dispute.
- On behalf of a major oil company, obtained a walk away settlement in a dispute regarding prior contamination.
- On behalf of a Fortune 500 retail company, obtained a nuisance value settlement in a real estate matter—the settlement was less than 5% of Plaintiff’s initial demand.
- On behalf of a Fortune 500 company obtained a multimillion dollar settlement in a breach of contract dispute with another Fortune 500 company.
- On behalf of a major hospitality company, prevailed at trial in a breach of contract dispute.
- On behalf of software company, obtain a favorable settlement of a patent infringement and trade secret suits brought to enforce the company’s intellectual property rights.
- On behalf of major hospitality company, obtain a dismissal of a class action complaint after the filing of Rule 12(b)(6) motion.
- On behalf of a Fortune 500 investor owned utility, obtain the dismissal of class action related to a dispute over a credit determination.